June 25-July 8, 2017
Since 1992, this short intensive program has prepared high intermediate to advanced level participants interested in improving their English language skills for success in law-oriented careers. Participants include practicing attorneys, judges, pre-LL.M. students and business professionals. Interactive and supportive, the ELP provides excellent preparation for the Orientation in U.S.A. Law Program, which immediately follows the English for Legal Professionals Program each summer.
The ELP consists of approximately 25 hours of classroom instruction per week, weekly specialized lectures by a judge and a lawyer, relevant field trips and various social events. The program consists of these core components:
- Legal vocabulary
- Legal reading and analysis
- Legal writing
- Presentation communication skills
- Workplace vocabulary
Note: This is a noncredit course and is not applicable to the summer International Commercial Law LL.M. Program.
The program provides an introduction or review of English as used by legal professionals in the United States:
- Lectures, discussions and optional informal activities enable participants to improve their command of English legal terminology.
- Through review of the basic structure of the U.S. legal system and examination of current court cases and legal briefs, participants improve writing, negotiation and oral communication skills pertaining to legal and business topics.
- Invaluable networking opportunities for participants.
Optional Field Trips
Optional field trips include San Francisco and the wine country (Napa or Sonoma County).
Designed for Professionals Like You
English for Legal Professionals is designed for high-intermediate to advanced level English speakers interested in improving their English language skills for success in legal-oriented careers. Participants include practicing attorneys, judges, pre-LL.M. students, business professionals, and those preparing for the Orientation in U.S.A. Law program, which conveniently follows this course.
Preparation for Orientation in U.S.A. Law
The Orientation in U.S.A. Law program is conducted entirely in English. Therefore, the English for Legal Professionals program is ideal preparation for those who wish to improve their English language skills before beginning that program. English for Legal Professionals is conveniently scheduled immediately before the Orientation in U.S.A. Law program.
June 25-July 8, 2017
WHERE University of California, Davis campus
- Nonrefunable application fee (includes express mail fee): $150 U.S.
- Tuition: U.S. $1,990
- Student Services fee (includes advising services, email and Internet access, social events and bus pass): $160 U.S.
- Medical insurance: U.S. $40 per week
* Tuition and fees are subject to change.
International English and Professional Programs
The International English and Professional Programs has offered English language, technical and professional training to clients around the world for more than 35 years. Along with superb training, these programs also provide opportunities for intercultural exchange and understanding.
Sample Schedule for English for Legal Professionals
|8:30-10:15 a.m.||Legal Reading and Analysis (daily)|
|10:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.||Legal Vocabulary (daily)|
|1:10-2 p.m.||Communication Skills and Public Speaking (daily)|
|2:10-3 p.m.||Business Writing/Grammar Seminar (daily)|
|5:30 p.m.||Welcome BBQ||Farmers Market field trip||Guest Speaker|